Wednesday, September 3, 2014

On Prayer

Prayer can do miracles and it in fact does them. If God or some angel would disclose you all the effects prayer has upon the events or people in your life, you wouldnt have stopped praying. There are no coincidences in life. We get what we deserve or what God thinks what is beneficial to our souls, though it might be a painful medicine. God is like a Great Surgeon, who wishes only the good. There is no evil in God as He is only Love.

I noticed that if I pray before sleep I also sleep and rest better. Life without prayer is a nightmare - it is as walking in darkness not knowing where is the next pitfall. Without God, without prayer you set your life, health at a great risk - its like living at the mercy of the devil, who has no mercy as there is no goodness in him.

Christian shoud address God every morning and night. Once you wake up make a sign of the cross over yourself, recite the "Prayer of Optina elders", which is a blessing prayer for the day. One should know it by heart, as I for example, use it daily in Ukrainian. It is very much used in the Orthodox Christian Church. It is included in all prayer books. It sounds the following:

"Grant unto me, O Lord, that with peace of mind I may face all that this new day is to bring.
Grant unto me to dedicate myself completely to Thy Holy Will.
For every hour of this day, instruct and support me in all things.
Whatsoever tidings I may receive during the day, do Thou teach me to accept tranquilly, in the firm conviction that all eventualities fulfill Thy Holy Will.
Govern Thou my thoughts and feelings in all I do and say.
When things unforeseen occur , let me not forget that all cometh down from Thee.
Teach me to behave sincerely and rationally toward every member of my family, that I may bring confusion and sorrow to none.
Bestow upon me, my Lord, strength to endure the fatigue of the day, and to bear my part in all its passing events.
Guide Thou my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to suffer, to forgive, and to love.
Amen"



Before you fall asleep you should make sign of cross over yourself and say "In Thine Hands I give over my spirit O, Lord". Falling asleep is a sort of a "little death". Our spirit does leave or better to say "releases" the body during sleep but not alltogether and because of that we are more vulnerable to the external influences and need Divine protection. Thats why even if your are sleepy and tired, try to say at least the basic prayers (as Our Father, Ave Maria, Heavenly King, ask for sins forgiveness) or in general address God with your own words as you can. If you are not tired and have time and the necessary moment of silence, light the candle before the Icon of Christ or Mary or the Crucifix and say all the night prayers from prayerbook (good to know them by heart) and also pray with your own words too. Prayer with your own words is important as it comes straight from your heart and God values such prayers a lot. You can also recite couple of psalms. Genuflection (making knee bowings or prostrations) at the end of prayer is important. It is a sign of our respect and gratitude towards God who is the Superior Master over all creatures, who granted us life and everything we have in life, as nothing happens without His Will or Permission on this earth.

Ukrainian Orthodox prayer book

As far as prayer book is concerned - get yourself Orthodox prayer book (this is the best on my opinion) in your own language or Catholic prayer book (if you are Catholic). Any Christian living the modern western world should be well versed in both Christian traditions - eastern and western (I add even Jewish one) and get "the best pearls" out of all for your own spiritual benefit. Synchretism can be dangerous, I agree but if you have some education, knowledge of Christianity, have faith and reasoning you can find your safe way. I for example, use even Latin prayers like Salve Regina or Ave Regina (learned them by heart) or Hebrew ones (like Avinu Malkeinu or Christian prayers or psalms in Hebrew as Simkhi Miriam, Aveinu she be Shemaim, Esa einai el heharim...) though I am with the Orthodox Church. Its your personal choice how you wish to pray or praise God and Christ. It depends very much upon your cultural background or ethnicity. Good to have Holy Water (I usually get it in January from the Church, when waters are blessed on the day of the Baptism of Christ, get some 2-3 liters to be blessed then) and drink a glass of Holy Water once in a while.

Taking a regular Holy Communion in the Orthodox Church (I would recommend at least twice a month) will help you to pray. You will see that its much easier to make your pray (and to maintain spiritual life) after the Holy Communion (its a great relief for the soul as a Drop of Christ´s Sacrificial Blood purifies your entire being, depression (which is basically a "sin burden") goes away, you feel like you loose 20 kg) than if you dont take it for a long time.

Prayer and the Holy Communion will make your life safer. That I can reassure you in that!


No comments:

Post a Comment